Singaporean evacuated from Wuhan among country’s 3 new cases of coronavirus, total now 16: MOH
Corrections and clarifications regarding falsehoods published by AB-TC City News’ website
Singapore closes borders to all Chinese travellers to stem spread of coronavirus

Singaporean evacuated from Wuhan among country’s 3 new cases of coronavirus, total now 16: MOH

SINGAPORE: The Ministry of Health (MOH) confirmed three new cases of the Wuhan coronavirus in Singapore on Friday (Jan 31), bringing the total to 16 cases.

All three cases recently travelled to China’s Wuhan, where the virus originated.

THREE NEW CASES

The 14th case is a 31-year-old Chinese national with a Singapore work pass. He arrived in Singapore from Wuhan on Jan 26, and reported to be asymptomatic on his flight but developed symptoms on Jan 28.

He sought medical treatment at a clinic on Thursday and was taken to the National Centre for Infectious Diseases (NCID) in an ambulance.

The man tested positive for the coronavirus at about 11pm on Thursday.
Advertisement

He is currently warded in an isolation room at NCID. Prior to admission, the man stayed at home in Jurong East Street 13.

The 15th case is a 47-year-old Singaporean, who had travelled to Wuhan with her family and was one of the 92 Singaporeans who were evacuated from the city on Thursday.

She was asymptomatic when she boarded the flight, but was found to have a fever during the medical screening at Changi Airport and was taken to NCID.

She tested positive for the coronavirus at about 2pm on Friday and is warded in an isolation room at NCID.

The 16th case is a 38-year-old Chinese man who arrived in Singapore from Wuhan on Jan 22. He tested positive for the coronavirus at about 2pm on Friday and is currently warded in an isolation room at the Singapore General Hospital.

All three cases are in stable condition, said MOH.

PREVIOUS CASES ALL IN STABLE CONDITION: MOH

The death toll in China has risen to 213, with nearly 10,000 infected, according to official figures released on Friday. The World Health Organization (WHO) declared the situation a global emergency.

All of the 13 previously confirmed cases in Singapore came from Wuhan in Hubei province.

The first case of the Wuhan coronavirus in Singapore was confirmed on Jan 23 – about a month after the first cases were reported in the Chinese city.

The seven men and six women, aged between 31 and 73, are being treated at isolation wards at NCID, Singapore General Hospital and Sengkang General Hospital.

In its press release on Friday, MOH shared more information about the 13th confirmed case, a 73-year-old woman who arrived in Singapore on Jan 21.

The ministry said she was a close contact of the second confirmed case and multiple attempts were made to contact her. She was located on Jan 28 and reported having developed symptoms on the same day.

The woman was taken to NCID, where she was isolated, and she tested positive for the coronavirus at about 2pm on Thursday.

MOH said that prior to her admission, the woman stayed at ParkRoyal Collection Pickering and Oasia Hotel Downtown, and visited Changi Airport and Jewel. She travelled by taxi and private transport.

None of the 13 previously confirmed cases are critically ill, said the ministry.

“All of them remain in stable condition and most are improving,” it added.

As of noon on Friday, 198 of the suspected cases have tested negative for the virus. Test results for the remaining 35 cases are pending.

MOH also said that it has identified 202 close contacts as of noon on Friday. Of the 162 who are still in Singapore, 156 have been contacted and are being quarantined or isolated. Efforts are ongoing to contact the remaining six close contacts, said MOH.

Source: CNA

Corrections and clarifications regarding falsehoods published by AB-TC City News’ website

There was a false statement contained in a web article on the Wuhan virus situation in Singapore.

Falsehoods

On 30 Jan 2020, a website called ‘City News’ published an article titled “BREAKING NEWS: Singapore records six more coronavirus case, total of 16 now” (https://cbtvn.com/singapore-coronavirus-cases/) claiming that five Singaporeans have contracted the Wuhan coronavirus without going to China.

As of 9pm on 30 Jan 2020, there is no local transmission of the Wuhan virus in Singapore. All confirmed cases in Singapore to date are Chinese nationals who travelled from Wuhan.

Additional Clarifications

We advise members of the public to not speculate and/or spread unfounded rumors. Please visit www.moh.gov.sg for updates on the Wuhan virus situation.

Source: Gov.sg

Singapore closes borders to all Chinese travellers to stem spread of coronavirus

Singapore will close its borders to all new visitors from mainland China, including foreigners who have been there within the past 14 days, becoming the first Southeast Asian country to do so in a bid to stem the spread of the deadly coronavirus.

The island nation has China as one of its biggest trading partners and is a popular destination for Chinese tourists. Figures from the Singapore Tourism Board showed that 248,000 travellers from the mainland entered Singapore last November, while 3.42 million mainland Chinese tourists visited in 2018.

The visa suspension will come into effect immediately so travellers can be informed in advance, while the travel restriction will start at 11.59pm on Saturday. The government did not say when these restrictions would be lifted.

Source: scmp.com